FreeStyle

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Nine

Julia Hill
    Julia Hill

Location | Ligging : All Around The World
    Posts | Bydraes : 151
    Points | Punte : 259
    Join date | Datum aangesluit : 2011-08-28
    Age | Ouderdom : 53

The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Nine Empty The Twelve Days of Christmas ... Day Nine

Post by Julia Hill Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:02 pm

My true love gave to me ...
    9 ladies dancing,
    8 maids a milking,
    7 swans a swimming,
    6 geese a laying,
    5 Gold Rings ......
    4 calling birds,
    3 French hens,
    2 turtle doves,
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I’ve taken to volunteering in the kitchen in the hopes that the cooking sherry will be at hand – today – can you believe it – 9 dancing ladies arrived – which was just too much – yet again – all the men went quite silly and ran around after them in the hallways here at Serenity Farm ... they got all hot and bothered and about 4 had to be rushed off to the medics hall for additional attention and medication – it really puts me in a bad light, and anyhow I don’t understand why my true love would want to send me women .... I think I might be going a little mad ... hope I find that sherry soon .... and while we are at it .... here is a great chewy gingerbread recipe – it would be lovely baked into fingers to dip into that sherry 

Gingerbread

350 g cake flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    3 teaspoons ginger
    125g butter (unsalted)
    250 g light brown sugar
    1 large egg4 tablespoons golden syrup

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon.
    Grate the butter into the flour mixture and rub in to make breadcrumbs
    Stir the sugar into the flour and butter mixture
    In a separate bowl, beat the egg and golden syrup together until well mixed with electric beaters
    Mix all the ingredients together and knead well to make a firm but moist dough
    Cover the bowl with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190C.

After the dough has chilled roll out on a floured surface to make shapes as desired, place on a well greased and floured baking tray about 3 – 5 centimetres apart

Baking times:
    5 mls thick – 10 to 11 minutes
    8 mls thick – 13 to 16 minutes

Allow to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes, gently move onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

Note this recipe is great to use for making gingerbread houses (see pic on fb page) and all sorts of wonderful shapes – a really versatile recipe!

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 3:09 pm