FreeStyle

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twelve Days of Christmas .... Day Seven

Julia Hill
    Julia Hill

Location | Ligging : All Around The World
    Posts | Bydraes : 151
    Points | Punte : 259
    Join date | Datum aangesluit : 2011-08-28
    Age | Ouderdom : 53

The Twelve Days of Christmas .... Day Seven Empty The Twelve Days of Christmas .... Day Seven

Post by Julia Hill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 9:56 pm

My true love gave to me ...
    7 swans a swimming,
    6 geese a laying,
    5 Gold Rings ......
    4 calling birds,
    3 French hens,
    2 turtle doves,
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I am overcome, completely, utterly, have had 4 valium so far today and its not helping, I think the birds have taken control .... I mean 7 swans swimming .... what was this man thinking, so leave me alone Mr! I have had enough .... I am not a horrid person and I simply will not cook swans and where would I cook seven of them anyhow .... I am off to the farm ... the funny farm .... I have been told I need to ease up on my consumption of valium as apparently it does not mix well with the two bottles of Southern Comfort – cant understand why – at least then the birds are all singing in tune!
    I think I am going to go off and make some Spiced Christmas Cake with Southern Comfort drizzle to see me on my way ....

Spiced Christmas Cake

Makes one large black roasting pan

4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons nutmeg
    250 g butter
    3 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
    1 ½ cups milk
    2 eggs
    1 cup pecan or walnuts

 Mix flour, baking powder, nutmeg.
     Mix in processor with butter until like breadcrumbs.
     Add the sugar and stir well.
     Press 3 cups of the mixture into the bottom of a greased pan.
     Stir in the milk, eggs, nuts and bicarbonate of soda into the remaining mixture.
     Pour on top of the prepared base and even out.
     Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
     Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before slicing into squares and removing.
     Dust with icing sugar if required.

Southern Comfort Drizzle

½ cup Southern Comfort
    ½ cup water
    ½ cup castor sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

Dissolve the sugar in the Southern Comfort and Water in a pan over a low to medium heat, allow to simmer slowly for 5 minutes, stir in the butter, and allow to reduce a little, cool and have on hand to pour over the cake with a generous helping of spiced whipped cream

To make spiced whipped cream : whip one tub of cream and add the following, mixing well ... 5 mls cinnamon, 2.5mls nutmeg, 2 mls vanilla essence, 1 tablespoon of castor sugar

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024, 10:09 pm